Happy Monday! I don’t know about you all today, but I am seriously dragging. No amount of coffee or green smoothies could get me motivated this morning. We just got home from our lovely vacation in Mexico and I was not ready to leave. I have the vacation blues for sure!
On the bright side these little cacao chip banana muffins make for a yummy and hearty breakfast. Does anyone else look forward to what you’re having for breakfast in the morning, or is that just me? Of course after breakfast I already have lunch on my mind. I can’t wait to share some pictures of our trip with you later this week, but this has to be one of my favorites…can you say paradise?
It never fails that by the end of the week we have at least 4 or 5 bananas that are completely brown. My husband will refuse to touch them once they get a speck of brown on them, but little does he know he devoured these delicious muffins full of brown bananas. After all brown bananas are the sweetest (literally).
Flax eggs have become a new favorite of mine. It’s so easy to make this egg alternative. Simply combine 1 tablespoon of flaxseed meal with 3 tablespoons of hot water and allow it to set until it’s gel-like. Flaxseed meal also has tons of health benefits and is super high in fiber. The best part is that no one will know that there were no eggs used in making this yummy baked treat!
You could definitely make these muffins the traditional way (without cacao chips) but my sweet tooth was very happy with that addition. Is it bad that the chocolate is my favorite part? Is it bad that I hid the cacao chips from Craig so he couldn’t find them? Guess what…he found them. I’m definitely a food hoarder.
- 2 flax eggs (see below)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 4 medium overripe bananas
- ½ cup Vegan cane sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup cacao baking chips (optional, but recommended)
- *2 flax eggs= 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal + 6 tablespoons hot water.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and place muffin liners in pan.
- In a small bowl combine flaxseed meal and hot water and let sit for approximately 5 minutes until gel-like. (flax eggs)
- In a large bowl stir together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl mash bananas and stir in applesauce, Vegan cane sugar, vegetable oil, flax egg mixture, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until they are combined (it will be thick).
- Stir in cacao chips.
- Use a scoop to place the batter into muffin liners (makes 12-15 muffins)
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes, muffins are done when you place a toothpick in them and it comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool and enjoy!