As a chocoholic I can’t tell you how excited I am to have found a recipe that combines my love for healthy food and chocolatey goodness.It only makes sense that my first blog post include chocolate + peanut butter (two of my faves). These brownies are fudgey and peanut buttery and a-ma-zing! I made these for my mom’s birthday and was a bit skeptical of how they would turn out. I’m still amazed at how something egg free, flour free, and refined sugar-free can be so awesome, but try it for yourself to see how yummy these are.
The reason I have no pictures of the baking process is because it was NOT pretty. I made a huge mess and had ingredients everywhere, but isn’t that the fun part of baking? Is anyone else out there super messy in the kitchen??
I hope you enjoy these brownies as much as I did! I even ate them for breakfast the next day…shhh..
- 15 oz can of black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal combined with 6 tablespoons of water (see below)* OR 2 eggs
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 10 pitted Medjool dates
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup cacao baking chips ( I used Sunspire organic baking chips)
- ½ cup natural peanut butter (I used Crazy Richard's- only one ingredient...peanuts!)
- ¼ cup cacao chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Rinse and drain black beans and set aside.
- Place two tablespoons of flaxseed meal and 6 tablespoons of water in a bowl and allow to sit for 5 minutes, or until gelled. (Or use two eggs)
- Put black beans, dates, flaxseed mixture, applesauce, vanilla, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda into food processor or high powered blender.
- Blend until fairly smooth (mine was still a little bit chunkier than your typical brownie batter)
- Stir in ½ cup cacao chips
- Pour batter into a non-stick 8 x 8 baking pan or one that has been sprayed with cooking spray
- With a knife swirl in peanut butter covering as much batter as possible
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes (or until inside is cooked)
- Allow to cool completely before cutting
Recipe adapted from IFoodReal